Monday, February 16, 2009

How to remove Recent Projects from Visual Studio 2008 Start Page

Being a tester I had never worked on Visual Studio before. I used to work with VB 6.0in my early career days. Since then I got not chance to create any new projects.

Given responsibility to setup TFS, Continuous Integration and also white box testing I had to create projects every now and then, which resulted in a never ending list of projects in my start page. No matter how many I delete from my local RnD folder the list didn't clear.

Below list helped me do that

1. Close Visual Studio if it is running.
2. Start the Registry Editor (run regedit).
3. Navigate to this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectMRUList
4. Then delete the key that has the project you do not want to keep in the list.

The only catch in the last step is you need to keep the File names consecutive.
e.g. If you have File 1 to File 5. Now if you dont need File 3 to appear in the list and if you remove File 3, Files 4 & 5 wont appear either. You need to rename the File 4 and 5 to File 3 and 4 so that the numbering is consecutive.

This will be very easy with VS2010. Its all xaml at the end of the day.

No comments: